Aging is a natural part of life. And while there’s nothing you can do about your internal biological clock, there are ways to slow (and even reverse) some of the physical signs of getting older. And though there’s no need to go overboard and obsess over decades gone by, implementing a few strategic methods into your regular health and wellness routine could leave you looking definitively younger.
Table of Contents
4 Ways You Can Look Younger Without Surgery
Botox, breast augmentation, tummy tucks, and facelifts might work, but they often require expensive procedures and carry significant health risks and the potential for long-term complications.
Thankfully, these are not the only methods for looking younger. There are plenty of safe and natural alternatives that can be just as effective.
1. Microneedling For Smoother Skin
One of the telltale signs of aging is wrinkled, sagging, and blemished skin. It doesn’t matter who you are or what you do; your skin will eventually catch up to your age and blow your cover.
However, there are a few things you can do in the meantime to trick your skin into being smooth and blemish-free. One of the best options is something known as microneedling.
“Microneedling is the creation of small micro-channels and injuries to your skin with acupuncture-size needles,” says Dr. Melissa K. Levin, a New York City-based dermatologist. “Your body will respond to these micro-injuries naturally by stimulating and producing collagen, which can treat fine lines and wrinkles, enlarged pores, stretch marks, acne scars, and textural concerns.”
While microneedling is typically done in an office under the administration of a dermatologist, you can also do it at home. While the microneedling devices have smaller and duller needles, they still offer some of the same benefits (and without the high cost or need for local anesthesia). Here’s how you do it:
- Step 1: Cleanse your skin and prep it for microneedling. If you’re wearing makeup, be especially mindful of rinsing your face and swabbing with some sort of cleansing wipe to kill any lingering germs on the skin.
- Step 2: Separate your face into sections (dermatologists recommend four sections) and use a microneedle roller for 15 to 30 seconds in each quadrant. For best results, roll in an asterisk pattern.
- Step 3: After microneedling, apply the proper face serums. If you’re looking to heal acne scars, epidermal growth factor (EGF) serums work to improve cellular regeneration. Peptides and hyaluronic acid are also good options.
For best results, doctors recommend you start microneedling just once per week (which ensures your face has time to heal in between applications). You can then work your way up to twice per week.
2. LLLT for Hair Loss
Nothing screams aging quite like losing your hair. It’s a dead giveaway that you’re getting older. But even something like hair loss can be reversed without painful surgeries or procedures.
The best non-surgical hair loss treatment option on the market is a technology known as low level laser therapy, or LLLT. According to laser cap company Kiierr, LLLT is one of the most effective hair loss treatment options on the market. It uses a web of safe medical-grade lasers that are embedded into a ballcap and, when applied, rejuvenate dormant hair follicles by increasing circulation in the scalp.
LLLT is shown to be highly-effective in 93 percent of clinical studies and is FDA approved for both men and women. It requires 30-minute treatments every other day and typically stops hair loss in its tracks within 30-90 days. Hair regrowth is usually noticeable within 90-180 days.
3. Improve Your Posture
As you age, you may discover that your posture becomes increasingly hunched. This can make you look even older than you are. But with a few simple tweaks, you can straighten your spine and look more confident. These yoga poses will help tremendously:
- Mountain pose. This pose might seem pretty simple, but it can teach you proper vertical alignment. When done correctly, this pose helps you find a neutral position where you’re neither leaning forward nor back.
- Cat-cow stretch. This pose is extremely helpful for flexing the natural curvature of your spine. It involves moving your spine from one flexion to extension, which allows you to learn what a neutral position feels like.
- Shoulder open. With this pose, you stretch your back, chest, and shoulders in one simple move. This is a great pose if you want to loosen tight muscles and bring your spine back into proper alignment.
These are just a few. You can also try moves like the bridge pose, eagle pose, and plank pose – each of which helps bring your posture back into proper alignment.
4. Whiten Your Teeth
Years of drinking coffee, wine, and other enamel-deteriorating food and drink can leave your teeth looking, er, less than pearly white. And if there’s one thing that screams “aging,” it’s yellow teeth. Thankfully, whitening your teeth doesn’t have to involve an extensive medical procedure.
In-home teeth whitening kits are excellent for restoring proper color to your teeth. And while they aren’t cheap, they are easy and painless. You also get to skip additional trips to the dentist, which is a major bonus for most people.
With so many different teeth whitening products on the market, trying to find the best option for your mouth may feel like looking for a needle in a haystack. However, you don’t have to manually compare each one on your own. Thanks to this simple teeth whitening guide, you can quickly find the ones that will work best for your mouth.
Reclaim Your Younger Years
You might not ever look like you’re 18 again, but who says you can’t restore some of the same youthful qualities that you enjoyed in your 20s and 30s?
With a few simple investments in your health, you can look and feel better without needles or surgery.
Hopefully, this article has given you some ideas that you can try in the coming weeks and months. You’ll have to select the ones that are right for you and your needs!