A Free Windows GUI Version of HTML Tidy
TidyGUI is a Windows GUI encapsulation of Dave Raggett’s HTML Tidy, a free utility application from the World Wide Web Consortium that helps you clean up your web pages.
HTML Tidy is a powerful, efficient, multi-platform application that can be tuned with about 4 dozens options. The major (and probably only) added value of TidyGUI is that it lets you experiment interactively with Tidy’s numerous options and save your settings in a configuration file.
Here is a snapshot of TidyGUI:
Current version (1.1) is based on the 8th July 2000 version of HTML Tidy.
TidyGUI exposes to the user all the options of HTML Tidy. Configuration files can be loaded and saved (since TidyGUI knows the default value of each option, it saves minimalistic configuration files). TidyGUI can also copy your settings to the clipboard in the form of command-line arguments you can then paste into scripts.
Notice that 2 options, write-back and error-file, have no effect when tidying with TidyGUI (although you can set and save them).
There is no online help!
TidyGUI is supposed to work on all Win32 versions of Windows. It has been tested on Windows 95 and NT4.
Release Notes Version 1.1 (Current)
- Based on HTML Tidy version 8th July 2000.
- Added support for the 2 new tidy options add-xml-space and gnu-emacs.
- Version 1.0 Based on HTML Tidy version 30th April 2000.
- Modified configuration dialogs to reflect changes in tidy options.
- TidyGUI now remembers the last used source file and configuration file across sessions, to make your life easier (suggested by Ralf Hasse).
- Version 0.9 Based on HTML Tidy version 13th January 2000.
Download and installation
To install, simply download and unzip TidyGUI-exe.zip, and play! TidyGUI is a standalone Win32 executable and requires no installation step.
TidyGUI creates and uses the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HTML Tidy\TidyGUI. To remove TidyGUI, just delete the files and remove this registry key.
Source code is available here (.zip file–also contains source code of TidyCOM). TidyGUI was developped with Visual C++ 6.0 and the ATL library.
You can use, copy, modify and distribute TidyGUI and its source code without fee. However:
- The origin of TidyGUI and its source code must not be misrepresented.
- Altered versions must be plainly marked as such and must not be misrepresented as being the original source.
- The largest part of TidyGUI is Copyright Â© 1998-2000 World Wide Web Consortium (see
Comments, feature requests (and bug reports!) are welcome and should be sent to [email protected].
This page updated: 8/14/2000