Repairing Macromedia Shockwave
Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98SE, Windows ME and Windows 2000 with Macromedia Shockwave version 8 or later only.
When you start any of the Microsoft programs listed below, you may experience any of the following problems:
- The Welcome movie may not play.
- When you click Get Creative Ideas, the page may not be built.
- Helpful movies may not play.
This usually occurs because Macromedia Shockwave is damaged.
- Microsoft Encarta Africana 2000
- Microsoft Encarta Reference Suite 2000
- Microsoft Encarta Reference Suite 2001
- Microsoft Encarta Reference Suite 2001 DVD-ROM version
- Microsoft Picture It!
- Photo 2001 Microsoft Picture It!
- Photo Premium 2001 Microsoft Picture It!
- Publishing 2001 Microsoft Picture It!
- Publishing 2001 Gold Microsoft Picture It!
- Publishing 2001 Platinum Microsoft Picture It!
- Publishing 2001 Silver
Until recently there was no easy method to correct this problem. The earlier methods required the complete removal of Macromedia Shockwave, cleaning all of its elements out of the Windows registry, removing the physical Shockwave files and then reinstall Shockwave. The hardest part was finding and removing all of the registry keys. In any event, Microsoft has made a Shockwave removal tool available to assist you with the process, making the repair allot easier. Just follow the procedures noted below. You will find the appropriate Microsoft Knowledge Base article is here Removing the Shockwave Registry Keys if you need it.
Here are the steps to follow to make this repair. Please follow them in the order given and do not skip any steps.
Again, you must have Macromedia Shockwave version 8.0 or later installed on your computer!
Step One: Download the Shockwave Removal Tool
You can obtain the tool directly from Microsoft by clicking this link: ShkWvfix.exe
Or you can download the tool from our web site by clicking here: ShkWvfix.exe
Step Two: Uninstall Shockwave
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Click Shockwave, and then click Add/Remove.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to uninstall the Shockwave software.
NOTE: If the un-installation process fails, continue with the next section.
- Delete the Macromed Folder
- Right-click Start, and then click Explore.
- In the left pane, double-click Windows.
- Double-click System.
- Right-click Macromed, and then click Delete.
- Click Yes to accept the deletion.
- Close the Exploring System window.
- Next, Run the Shockwave Removal Tool
Step Three: Running the Shockwave Removal Tool
Note: The Shkwvfix.exe file removes registry entries from Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), and Microsoft Windows 2000. When you are prompted to restart your computer after you finish running the program, restart your computer.
- Locate the Shockwave Removal tool that you downloaded.
- Double-click Shkwvfix.exe.
- Click Yes.
- Click OK when the program finishes running.
- Click Yes to restart your system.
Step Four: Download and install the latest version of Macromedia Shockwave
To download the latest version of Macromedia Shockwave, click Download Now!
- Read steps 1, 2, and 3 on the Web site.
- Under step 1, click Click Here To Install.
NOTE: The Click Here To Install button may alternate between that phrase and an Autoinstall Now! phrase. If you are prompted with a Security Warning dialog box, click Yes to install Shockwave Player 8.0. Follow the instructions on the screen to install Shockwave Player.
- When the Shockwave Player installation is complete, a new browser window is opened and a Shockwave movie begins to play. When the movie begins to play, you know that the installation of Shockwave Player is successful.
- Close your Internet connection.
- Now test your other programs to insure your success.